Sunday, August 12, 2012

Mini Book Review: Quiet by Susan Cain

The full title Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

The extrovert is applauded and encouraged. The other one third of the population of introverts is encouraged (sometimes forced) to become an extrovert. Doesn't work. There is the person/child who doesn't volunteer or talk in groups. That becomes a stigma and a bad report to the child's parent.

This book describes the introvert compared to the extrovert. Examples of well known introverts are included throughout the book. With research of brain function through imaging, the author relates that introversion can be observed in the brain. Further research and long range studies concur that there is the prescence of an introvert personality.

As I read Quiet, I could see myself as the shy and introverted kid that grew into a less shy but still introverted adult. In order to succeed in many business situations, the introvert has to take on the role of the extrovert. I also did that. It isn't easy and it is physically draining.

The author includes a chapter for the teacher and the manager where the author describes the ways to deal with the introverted individual.

With research, interviews of introverts and examples of well known introverts, Cain (an introvert) presents a very readable book on the subject of introversion.



For a brief overview of the author's thoughts, watch the TED talk Susan Cain's The Power of Introverts


6 comments:

  1. You have a typo -- should be "Quiet", not "Quick".

    I have the audiobook. Good listen. Though I think I prefer "The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World" by Marti Olsen Laney Psy.D. overall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ted, Thanks for the editorial assistance. :-) Fixed the typo. Checked out reviews and comments about the book. Put it on the list of books to find at the library for an ebook download. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read somewhere that there is a gene for shyness---I wish you had given us some of the names of great people who were introverts. Was Darwin an example? Newton?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Randy, Those are two of the introverts. The others that I recall are Einstein, Eleanor Roosevelt, Theodor Geisel (Dr. Seuss).

    ReplyDelete
  5. One thing you learn from this, and other, books on introversion is that it's not the same as shyness. There are shy extroverts and outgoing introverts. Introversion is often mistaken for shyness, however.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have to look for these books. My husband always said I lived in my own little world - Teri World. That's why I used that as the title of my blog. I think that is why I am so comfortable in this RV lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments are no longer allowed. Regardless, comments are appreciated. Sometimes there may be a response from Wandrin Lloyd. Sometimes not. Regardless. Thanks for stopping by to share your thoughts. Leave a comment or send WandrinLloyd an email. Note: Ads disguised as comments will be deleted.