Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Reminiscing With Rod

Last fall passing through Prescott, I was reading a Seniors publication and saw Rod's name teaching a computer class. Was this the one time co-worker from Samsonite in the early 1970s. It was Rod's photo that accompanied the article. With an email address, we exchanged emails at that time, but couldn't find a good time to get together.

This spring was a better time. Met for lunch and chatted about what has happened in personal and business life in the past 40 years. Then we realized how old we were when we started talking about computing equipment that resides in computer museums: IBM S/360 computers; core memories; 5081 punch cards; IBM 2314 disks; etc. The industry has matured. Today my MacBook Pro might have more computing power and disk storage capacity (including my outboard hard disks) than all the computers in Denver of 1970.

After an excellent lunch, we took a walk around nearby Lynx Lake to continue chatting about life and living. For me, Prescott is one of those places which is an attractive stopping place when giving up the nomadic traveling. Rod has lived here for about five years and shared his high points of Prescott. It helped corroborate my observations from previous visits.

We did what all old people do; we reminisced about the old days.

4 comments:

  1. Nice blog today. It also brought back fond memories for me since I started programming on an IBM 650 in 1960 and then the IBM 704, 7090 and the 360 series. I often wonder how fast my laptop could run some of those 6 hour long programs that ran on the 7090.

    Yes, the computers are all in museums today. So that makes me a museum piece also. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clark, Like you, I am also a museum piece. You beat me by a few years, but I started programming in 1966 at the Bank of America in San Francisco. Converting from 1401 and 7094 going to the latest computer -- the S/360(s). Good times, but I like this computer today. No punched cards!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And yet we sent men to the moon with that technology. It was the right stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ben, So true. I'd forgotten about that. July 1969. Working at Samsonite in the old Broadway complex and everyone was watching the event on a couple of TVs that were dragged into the cafeteria. More memories.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments are no longer allowed. Regardless, comments are appreciated. Sometimes there may be a response from Wandrin Lloyd. Sometimes not. Regardless. Thanks for stopping by to share your thoughts. Leave a comment or send WandrinLloyd an email. Note: Ads disguised as comments will be deleted.