Friday, January 20, 2012

Raptor Show

A must see in Tucson is the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum. With my three month stay in Tucson, I opted for an annual membership. That would allow for frequent visits of shorter duration rather than trying to get the moneys worth out of the one day ticket. Two hours is about all this old body can handle standing around and walking very slowly.

For me, the Desert Museum's highlight is the raptor show held at 10:00 and 2:00 every day. As a docent speaks describing the raptors we see, trainers are placing treats (meat) on dead tree branches in the demonstration area. As the raptor flies from tree to tree (overhead) for their treats, the audience gets a close up look at the raptor in flight and then dining on the treat (quail breast meat).

Three of the raptors from the 10:00 show: Gray Hawk, Great Horned Owl and Red Tailed Hawk. (Hope I recalled correctly.)




The show is a great place for photos of raptors in flight or closeups on the perches or on the arm of a trainer. Most of the audience had cameras. Several professional cameras were in evidence. There were the usual 1000 mm lenses. In case you're wondering... from my stable of cameras the Canon SX40 was used for these photos.

Already anticipating my next visit. Lots to learn and satisfy my curiosity. No doubt on a return visit, I will attend the raptor show again.

3 comments:

  1. I'd LOVE to see the raptor show - with camera in hand of course! That's something I'll try to do if/when I'm in Tucson. Thanks for the info. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice photos of the raptors, Lloyd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! That is a great show. I remember when the Harris hawk flew right over my head. you just have to duck.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments are no longer allowed. Regardless, comments are appreciated. Sometimes there may be a response from Wandrin Lloyd. Sometimes not. Regardless. Thanks for stopping by to share your thoughts. Leave a comment or send WandrinLloyd an email. Note: Ads disguised as comments will be deleted.