Monday, May 11, 2015

A Last Post

This will be the last post here. Nature is taking over. Cancer. According to the doctors, I have about two months left of living. Maybe.

Why the last post. I died on ........ In good health and all of sudden I am dead. It does happen. My life was a great journey. Born on July 30, 1940 at 4:30 p.m. in a Green Bay Wisconsin hospital.

Born to Earl and Irene (Treichel) Treichel. Yup. My mother's maiden name was Treichel. Mom and Dad were second cousins. Could explain some of the weirdness of this guy. My sister Lois was already at home when I was born. A couple of years later, Dennis arrived to complete the family of three children.

Lois Vohen survives this writing and lives in Two Rivers Wisconsin. Dennis was residing in Dallas Oregon when he died in 2010. Mom died in 2002 at the age of 84 and Dad died in 2006 at the age of 90. Sounds like good genes. Hopefully, my genes got me to something approximating those numbers.

I grew up on a dairy farm with all the jobs that go with that. That included some of the smellier jobs. After attending the Morrison Lutheran grade school, I graduated from DePere High School in 1958. Ahead of me after high school, I had to decide what I was going to do with the rest of my life. How to make the decision. There was no experience to make the decision. Dad always suggested a job or career something other than farming. His suggestion was engineering or accounting. I often wonder where I would have ended if he had thought that lawyer or doctor would be a good future. 

Whatever my choice, I was going to have to pay for it. Between working part and full time at Morning Glory dairy in De Pere for the next five years I attended part or full time at the University of Wisconsin Extension center at Green Bay. The school was affectionately known as Cardboard Tech. Built as temporary classrooms for the returning WWII veterans, the building was still in use in 1960.

While living at home and attending Cardboard Tech, I continued to help out with farm chores and milking cows. In 1962 I left the farm and went to University of Wisconsin at Madison to finish my education graduating there in 1965.

While at Madison, I met Eileen Kriewaldt. We dated in college and upon my graduation, we married in the summer of 1965 before moving to Santa Rosa California where I had a trainee position with the Bank of America in their Santa Rosa branch. I was at the right place at the right time. The Bank determined that I would be a great computer programmer.

They were right. I enjoyed programming and recently wrote an Excel Visual Basic macro to solve Sudoku puzzles.

When California became too crowded for these farm kids, we moved to Denver in 1969 for a programming position I accepted with Samsonite Luggage.

Eileen and I had two children. Son TJ and Krista live in the Denver area. Daughter Vanita and Gabe live in San Diego. Without grand children, there are grand pets who survive me. Eileen and I divorced many years ago and she survives me at this writing.

For most of my working career I was in some area of Information Technology. I started as a computer programmer (it was called Data Processing in 1965) writing COBOL programs. When I retired in 2000, I was working in technical sales support for Storage Technology -- a computer peripherals manufacturer. The company no longer exists after it was bought by Sun Microsystems. Sun was in turn bought by Oracle.

When I retired in 2000, I bought a truck and fifth wheel trailer to travel around US and Canada.

Since my retirement in 2000, I haven't worked for a pay check. Having considered volunteering at a state or national park over the years, I always decided that I didn't want to make the commitment to be someplace on a day or time. I liked the life where I could do what I wanted at any time. Certainly was a selfish approach, but that is what it was.

After 13 years of travel I needed a change from the mobile life. I enjoyed the mobile and moving life where the scenery changed and there was something new to explore.

It was time for a change from the nomadic travel. In January of 2014, I purchased a park model in an RV resort in Tucson. From the list of four possible locations (the others: Fort Collins, CO, Prescott, AZ, San Diego) to settle I chose Tucson with its nine months of good weather. With lots of nearby hiking, it as an ideal location to try to stay fit as I age.

I've lived a good life and had the opportunity to enjoy a good retirement. At least I am able to write this without the obit which would say that I was employed at company X when I died.

There are no regrets. If there are any regrets, it is that I was unable to celebrate any more birthdays. It would have been great to celebrate 100 years. That would have been great if I was still walking and could form complete sentences.


32 comments:

  1. Hugs to you and your family. May God fill you and your family with peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lloyd,

    Thanks for posting & letting all your friends know what's happening. So many have enjoyed your blog, & you were so kind to answer comments & questions. I know everyone wishes you could celebrate a 100th birthday.

    God bless,

    Rita Poe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your legacy will live in my travels and adventures. Your mentoring in my earlier days has made my life much better. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lloyd,
    You will be missed. I still remember the 2009 hike with you and Mark up to Blue Lake. You guys were my heroes living life on the road and having the West to explore. May you find that peaceful spot, like Blue Lake to keep you smiling. Prayers and warm regards. John Q

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lloyd, you have been a good friend since we met you at our first RV rally in Texas back in 2003. We enjoyed spending time with you whenever our paths crossed. I hope your upcoming journey is gentle and your destination peaceful. If there is anything we can do to help, please let us know.You will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lloyd, you have been a good friend since we met you at our first RV rally in Texas back in 2003. We enjoyed spending time with you whenever our paths crossed. I hope your upcoming journey is gentle and your destination peaceful. If there is anything we can do to help, please let us know.You will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lloyd… just a few weeks ago we were at Sandy's, having a cookout, and it seemed like the big C was past you. We are so surprised and saddened by this turn of events.
    Your blog, and Tioga George, were the two blogs I read religiously while waiting my turn to adopt the Rv life. I lusted after the freedom you had to just roam. When we finally crossed paths in Catalina State Park I remember being so excited… like i was meeting a Rock Star :). I so glad we got together at Sandy's… thanks for coming. And I'm so glad we got to share some hikes. Ice Lakes comes to mind, and we were supposed to do that hike again when you turned 80. I hope you prove the doctors wrong. It would be just like you to do so.
    I also hope your energy keeps up… enough that you can get outdoors, and maybe even come up to Lovely Ouray, you are welcome, you know… anytime. Love to you,
    Mark, and Bobbie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mr Treichel,
    It sounds like you lived your life well and are continuing that to the end,
    This last post is class!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lloyd,
    We are saddened to hear this news. Too bad we did not have a chance to meet you. Your post is a good history of your life. Thank you for taking time to write.
    Susan & Bob

    ReplyDelete
  10. We've never met, but reading your blog over the years has given me much pleasure and cause for reflection.

    As living beings we seek to avoid death, and speaking only for myself that has been accompanied by much fear over my lifetime. The following passage from a book entitled 'No Fear, No Death' by the Vietnamese monk Thich Nath Hanh has been very helpful.

    "In my hermitage in France there is a bush of Japanese Quince. This bush usually blossoms in the spring, but one winter it had been quite warm and the flower buds had come early. During the night a cold snap arrived and brought with it frost. The next day while doing walking meditation, I noticed that all the buds on the bush had died.

    A few weeks later the weather became warm again. As I walked in my garden I saw new buds on the japonica manifesting another generation of flowers. I asked the japonica flowers: 'Are you the same flowers that died in the frost or are you different flowers?' The flowers replied to me: 'We are not the same and we are not different. When conditions are sufficient we manifest and when conditions are not sufficient we go into hiding. It's as simple as that.""

    This perspective helps to reframe the question of 'living' and 'dying' for me. In any case, you will be missed.

    All the Best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have lived a wonderful life. God Bless You! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know how you feel. I was told I am dying but have a little longer than you. Of course at my age, I may die first before my disease kills me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Lloyd, this is such a shock. I thought you had beaten it. I'm so sorry. Being the eternal optimist that I am, I'm going to pray for a miracle, but tell you now that it's been wonderful knowing you. You're a special individual who will be remembered fondly by all who know you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lloyd, I am so sorry to read this post. I enjoyed our conversations and visits, and appreciated you taking the time to give me a tour of your RV park. I think this post is so courageous - thank you for letting all your readers know. Unlike many people, it looks like you have really "Enjoyed the Journey." Peace and love, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I so sorry to read this. Over the years I've enjoyed your writing and your wisdom. You will be sorely missed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, Lloyd, for all the knowledge and insights you shared over the years. I have never met you in person but I will miss you. Peace and love

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wish I had discovered you and your blog sooner...I too am a Tucson area (Picture Rocks, in the unpaved desert) liver and lover of the Sonoran Desert...I am glad to know that we shared it...go in peace, Brother....

    Desert trekker

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lloyd,
    The world is a better place because of what you brought to the plate. We will long remember your smile, your Hawaiian shirts, and good conversations with you at New Horizons Gatherings and once on our deck in Gig Harbor. Go in peace, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree with Rob. Well done and nice way to let your friends know what's happening.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lloyd,

    Sue and I were very sorry to read your last posting on the blog. We have so enjoyed the times we shared with you over the years.

    We first met at the 2002 New Horizons Rally at Tuttle Creek. I remember your gentle nature and very spicy pot-luck dinner offering. Over the years we learned many things from you, including rig design considerations, boon-docking strategies and photographic pointers during our various meetings. Your work as the webmaster really helped to keep the owners group together in the early years, and we really appreciated your participation and counsel before, during and after the rallies. (Weren’t you the one who coined the acronym “NHOG”, which continues to be used to this day?) We met your “watch duck” in Kerrville, Texas during one of the rallies. Your rig design, with the specialization unique to your specifications, was exactly the type of custom manufacturing that New Horizons represented during the earlier years of the company. You are one of our few “very special” friends we made the NHOG Rallies.

    We will continue to smile whenever we see someone in a Hawaiian Aloha shirt, remembering your quiet, reserved, thoughtful nature and ready smile. Thanks so much for sharing with us. We will miss you.

    Sue and Roger Bell

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wanderin' Lloyd -- I have enjoyed reading your posts, as well as your comments on Box Canyon Mark's blog. Sorry we haven't met in person, as anyone who wears a Hawaiian shirt has got it all figured out. ;-)

    Expiration dates are just "human opinion." No one knows. We could all go tomorrow, so we all need to learn to find joy in every day. I will add my two favorite Churchill quotes, "When you're going through hell, keep going!" and "Never, never, never give up!" Aloha! (def, "affection, peace, compassion, and mercy") Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've been running hard for a few weeks and been a mite out of touch. I know this is where we're supposed to offer condolences and "sorries" and such. I Just can't do that Lloyd. This is not the approach of "The End"... it is just a change of chapters. It's stepping off into things we have no knowledge of really, just Hopes. I find it Not Credible that "This Life" is it, all there is. There was something before, and something comes after, just like the rest of the Universe. Live this life until the final breath, and then my friend... Live what comes next with the Joy you pursued this one.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lloyd, Ron and I are so sorry to hear of this unexpected turn in the road for you. We also have recently purchased a little piece of property in Tucson, so if you need anything and we can lend a hand, please don't hesitate to call on us. We wish you all the best, comfort, peace, and Godspeed.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I was so sorry to read this... I agree this is the classiest way I have ever seen to say good bye...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lloyd - Obviously I'm sorry to read the news that your time is short, but please know that when I found your blog some years ago your wanderin is what I aspired to. We're different folks and I did not follow your exact path, but you were one of my primary inspirations of what can be. Thank you for sharing your wanderin with all of us over the years. May you be as pain free as possible during this time of transition to another realm.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lloyd - We have never met, I found your writings in 2003 as a fellow NH owner. Thank you for sharing your adventures, insights, and wisdom with the rest of us. I hope the doctors are wrong (as they so often are) and you have years left to live. When it is your time to pass, I pray God's peace is with you as you begin the next journey.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for sharing your travels with us. I enjoyed your writing and photos. I was sad (for myself) when you settled down in one spot. I am even sadder now. God speed. And hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  28. There is no good way to say goodbye, only a good way to live life, you have. Like many, I have enjoyed your blog for years. If the end is to come, know you gave more in life than you took out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Just wanted to drop back in and let you know we're thinking of you. Sending prayers for your comfort and peace of mind and spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've been busy following your example and enjoying my journey so today is the first I hear the sad news yours may be coming to an end soon. I've learned a few things from you through your writings, and hope your final journey is as gentle as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  31. LLoyd, I am truly saddened to read your last post here. You have been a mentor to me, not even knowing you personally. I found your blog several years ago, just before I retired.

    I did in fact end up following your path from which I am writing this post. I packed up my house just after retiring, bought a fifth wheel and headed out. I haven't looked back yet. Lovin each day on the road and moving around our beautiful country, enjoying nature along the way.

    I pray if you're still with us and reading this post, that God will give you peace and ease your pain. You lived an amazing adventure and have a legacy not only in this blog, but those of us still traveling that were inspired by you and your life.

    You will always be in my thoughts and prayers...safe travels

    ReplyDelete
  32. Lloyd, I was missing seeing your photos and am so very sorry to hear this news. You have taken so many of us on wonderful journeys and places we may not see. I'm glad that you have been able to travel and do as you please since retiring. Keeping you in my prayers.

    Tina
    Northern, CA

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments are no longer allowed. Regardless, comments are appreciated. Sometimes there may be a response from Wandrin Lloyd. Sometimes not. Regardless. Thanks for stopping by to share your thoughts. Leave a comment or send WandrinLloyd an email. Note: Ads disguised as comments will be deleted.