Sunday, February 23, 2014

Nap Time


If you hold a television to your ear you can hear the ebb tide of human intelligence. -- Anonymous comment found on the internet

Now that I have a permanent address, I can now get cable internet. Although Millenicom works at my permanent Tucson address, it is limiting when I am doing genealogical research. Downloading scanned images of census records takes time.

That was the logic behind getting cable internet service. Naturally, COX wants to sell additional services and more costly options. I just wanted internet. However, the rated speeds for basic internet were about the same as I was getting with Millenicom. That would not work.

To get better internet throughput, the COX package also included basic cable, HBO and STARZ. The internet and the TV package was less than the monthly rates I pay at Millenicom for internet access.

I considered the possibility of continuing life without TV. However when I bought this park model, it was furnished including a large flat screen TV.

Last Saturday I was connected to the cable internet -- and cable TV. The internet speeds are fantastic. I had been holding off on some huge downloads. They were done in a matter of minutes. It would have taken several hours with Millenicom.

Later in the afternoon after a hike, I thought it would be time to check out the TV. Since I had no interest in the commercial TV stations (basic cable), I went to the HBO stations. Of course I arrived in the middle of all movies that were being aired. One of those was a Harry Potter movie that had started about 15 minutes earlier.

So I settled back in the recliner (also included in the home purchase) to watch Harry Potter. My reaction was the same as always. It didn't take long. Soon I was taking a nap.

10 comments:

  1. That all sounds wonderful to me. It looks like your new place has all the things you need to be comfortable, even a recliner. I sure miss mine - it reclined, rocked and swiveled - and was super soft. Some day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new (to me) digs are great. The recliner may be a great way to watch TV and take a short nap. A much better usage for the recliner has become a place to read.

      Delete
  2. I am interested in your new home. I may do something like that when I decide to stop full timing. Funny about the TV, it does the same thing to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Until that time comes to stop, you will have lots of great days of exploring.

      Delete
  3. Lloyd - I stopped watching TV about 10 years ago - about all that I watch now is the occasional sports show. I babysat the 4 grands for 12 days while mommy and daddy were off to Asia. Even then with the TV as a babysitter, all I had any interest in were the shows - How It's Made and Myth Busters. If the kids didn't want those on, then the TV was off for them too. Not even the allure of HBO movies could attract my attention. Started one or two and turned than damn thing off after a few minutes, took out the Kindle and read my book. Don't go and get yourself hooked on the various 'reality' soap operas that seem to sprout on every 'network'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TV watching is a habit. I've never been much of a TV watcher. Then when I realized I was paying close to $70 a month for something I didn't use, I ended that drain of cash. On the road without TV for the past five/six years there is no TV habit. I am not sure how long it will take without me watching TV, but I will unplug the TV and disconnect the cable box.

      Groucho Marx said it best: "I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book."

      Delete
  4. Looks like your are settling nicely into you new life style. I use the TV for background noise when I am in my workshop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me the background is a variety of music genres (no singing) is an iPod through a dock on the radio.

      Delete
  5. Smart guy. Dozing through most tv and movies works for me too. My daughter wonders why I don't watch movies with her; how can I say 'you are stupid for watching shit like that'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The TV is just a few days away from turning off the power for it and the cable TV box. I also have little interest in movies. I had seen two movies in the past 14 years and the most recent was three years ago when visiting my daughter in San Diego. It was not a pleasant experience with some guy who made lots of noise every five minutes reaching into his bag of popcorn.

      Delete

Anonymous comments are no longer allowed. Regardless, comments are appreciated. Sometimes there may be a response from Wandrin Lloyd. Sometimes not. Regardless. Thanks for stopping by to share your thoughts. Leave a comment or send WandrinLloyd an email. Note: Ads disguised as comments will be deleted.